The Isle of Eigg

The Isle of Eigg
This is my island. She is me, and I am her, but we are both made up of the world, as well.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Mainland Trip Memoirs


Part 4: Market Day

(August 24: Bourganeuf, France)
  We went to the market in Bourganeuf today.  It was brilliant.  The cobbled streets were packed with people - villagers and tourists alike.  French, German, and English gabbled around the stalls, creating an intense atmosphere almost as intoxicating as the sights and smells of produce aplenty.  I hid behind Ben's shoulder, drooling over giant loaves of rustic, crusty, chewy bread toted around in beautiful baskets hanging gracefully from the thin or plump arm of a local madame or mademoiselle.  I was too frightened to combine my few poorly pronounced, staple French greetings into some patchwork form of conversation, so I allowed my smiles to do the talking.  My own non-basket-burdened (sadly) arm weaved through Ben's, we strolled down the stalls in eager actual and metaphorical hunger.  I was soon quite pleasantly accosted by three French children, all thrusting plastic cups of apple juice into my helplessly accepting hands.  Hoping these were just samples of the free variety, I brought the murky, golden liquid to my lips...and promptly stopped caring if it would cost or not.  I believe "Mmm" translates itself in any language.  Luckily, the samples were given in good spirit (and with good sales tactics - the children were so lovely!), and the prices were marked on the bottles of ambrosial, fresh juice.  I happily handed over two euros for a sweet apple, then later returned for a second bottle, some free pears kindly given to me by the young farmers, and a photograph of the children standing next to me, bemused and (I hope) enjoying themselves.  I begged their understanding by pointing at myself, shrugging, and saying "tourist."  I was weak and wanted a memento of such a wonderful day.  The children flashed toothy grins and giggled in good humor at my weak attempts to communicate, which quickly dissolved into enthusiastic pointing, gesturing, and "wee-ing."  "Merci, merci" and "bonjour" I could handle, and we smiled ourselves away to the next stall knowing that the good nature and generosity of people can shine through all language barriers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read any and all comments!